Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Coupon Equation

I write a guest opinion column for the StandardJournal. The following was published October 14, 2014:


The Coupon Equation

When talking about saving money by using coupons, I like to refer to what I call “the coupon equation.”

I know it sounds algebraic, but don’t worry; it isn’t hard. The last time I did any complicated math was over 10 years ago, so I am not about to drop any craziness on you. Someday, my kids will have to re-teach me a lot.

The equation is thus: Sale + Coupon = YES (as in “yes, you can buy it.”).

This basically means the best way to use a coupon is paired with a sale. It sounds incredibly obvious, but I didn’t grasp this until just a few years ago. 

Before my epiphany, I thought that coupons were kind of silly. I didn’t think that throwing a 40¢ coupon at a full-priced item was doing anything all that great. What I didn’t understand was that the greatness came by waiting for a sale and then using the coupon.

Most of you probably already understand this concept. But, because it is the foundation of couponing, it is vital for those just starting out.

When you are armed with your basic coupon equation, you can take on the entire shopping world. With several ways to access coupons and new money-saving apps for your phone or tablet, what started as simply “sale + coupon = YES” can turn into a super deal — “sale + manufacturer coupon + store coupon + app-savings = YES!!!” (Please notice and appreciate the overzealous exclamation points).

These super deals are not as rare as you may think, and I have good news for you: finding them is not hard.

One of a savvy shopper’s greatest tools is a coupon blog. There are tons. Just google it and see how many hits you get. These blogs focus on finding the deals for you, so all you have to do is go get them.

I suggest finding a blog that you like, getting to know your way around it and then using it as you plan your shopping lists. 

Another resource is through social media. Search for a local coupon group on Facebook where people share deals they have found around town.

Fortunately, Rexburg has both a blog (www.rexburgroundup.blogspot.com) and a Facebook group (The Rexburg Coupon Shuffle). These resources help you save money by focusing on deals found in our local grocery stores, and giving you a forum to share your finds with others.

Check them out and join the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment